NSABP Members' Area
  Password Protected - Access
  Limited to NSABP Participating
  Institutions Only


NSABP Foundation, Inc.



General NSABP Information
  Financial Conflicts of
     Interest Policy
  Coalition Comment:
     Reconfiguration
  IOM Report Group Comment
  Contact the NSABP
  Pathology Section
  Future Meetings
  NSABP Newsletters
  Media Info on STAR
  Employment

Clinical Trials Information
  Clinical Trials Overview
  Protocol Chart
  Never Say Lost

Treatment Trials Information
  Protocol B-43
  Protocol B-47
  Protocol B-51

Prevention Trials Information
  Protocol P-1 - BCPT
  Protocol P-2 - STAR
  Protocol P-5
  BreastCancerPrevention.com

Scientific Publications

Related Web Sites



Medical Search Engines



To report problems, ask
questions or make comments,
please send e-mail to:
Webmaster@nsabp.pitt.edu

Annotated Bibliography of NSABP Publications


Sequential Methotrexate 5-Fluorouracil (M→F) for the Treatment of Node-Negative Breast Cancer Patients with Estrogen-Receptor-Negative Tumors: Eight-Year Results from NSABP B-13 and First Report of Findings from NSABP B-19 Comparing M→F with Conventional CMF
Fisher B, Dignam J, Mamounas EP, Costantino J, Wickerham DL, Redmond C, Wolmark N, Dimitrov N, Bowman D, Glass A, Atkins J, Abramson N, Sutherland C, Aron B, Margolese R, and other contributing NSABP investigators
Journal of Clinical Oncology 14:7:1982-1992, 1996

Abstract
Purpose: To compare sequential methotrexate (M) and fluorouracil (F) (M→F) with surgery (National Surgical Adjuvant Breast and Bowel Project [NSABP] B-13) and cyclophosphamide (C), M, and F with M→F (NSABP B-19), in patients with estrogen receptor (ER)-negative tumors and negative axillary nodes.

Methods: A total of 760 patients were randomized to B-13; 1,095 patients with the same eligibility requirements were randomized to B-19. Disease-free survival (DFS), distant disease-free survival (DDFS), and survival were determined using life-table estimates.

Results: A significant benefit in overall DFS (74% v 59%; P < .001) was demonstrated at 8 years in all B-13 patients who received M→F (69% v 56% [P = .006] in those ≥50 years). A survival advantage was evident in older patients (89% v 80%; P = .03). In B-19, through 5 years, an overall DFS advantage (82% v 73%; P < .001) and a borderline survival advantage (88% v 85%; P = .06) were evident with CMF. The DFS (84% v 72%; P < .001) and survival (89% v 84%; P = .04) benefits from CMF were greater in women aged F or CMF after lumpectomy and breast irradiation resulted in a low probability of ipsilateral breast tumor recurrence (IBTR). In B-13, the frequency of IBTR was 2.6% following M→F versus 13.4% in women treated by lumpectomy; it was 0.6% following CMF in B-19. Toxicity > or = grade 3 was more frequent among CMF patients in B-19. The age-related difference in CMF benefit was not related to amount of drug received.

Conclusion: M→F and CMF are effective for node-negative patients with ER-negative tumors. The incidence of local-regional or distant metastases and IBTR decreased after either therapy. The benefit from either therapy was evident in all patients, but the CMF advantage was greater in those F may be used in patients with medical problems that would preclude CMF administration.

National Surgical Adjuvant Breast and Bowel Project, Pittsburgh, PA.